SMC Discussion Areas
June 30, 2024, 08:46:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Canada Dry Ideal 85  (Read 2470 times)
danforthq
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:43:06 am »

I have a Canada Dry machine, an Ideal 85, and I'm going to be restoring it. I don't want to sell it, just restore it for myself. Before I get started though, I want to know what the original colors were on the logo. I've been able to find what color the machine should be, that bright green, and I even still have it on my machine. It's just been painted over a long time ago. But the logo is a mystery to me. It's embossed, and the only information I've been able to find online about Canada Dry machines is about the generic ones that just had a decal on the front. Mine has a decal on the side, but the embossed logo on the front is something I can't find anywhere. There doesn't seem to be any paint on the logo under the white that's put on over it. Every embossed part is just blank, whereas the rest of the body of the machine is that green color (under the white).

Does anyone know what this logo should look like? Has anyone ever seen one like this? I've got pictures here of my machine, and also a mock-up picture of what I'll probably go with if I can't find out for sure what it originally looked like. (I know the green isn't right, but I couldn't quite get it no matter how hard I tried, so just imagine it's the right type of green.) Any help anyone could give me would be amazing. Thanks.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:10 am »

Here's an embossed Ideal 55.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26:48 am »

According to Walter's 3rd Edition, the Canada Dry Ideal 55 (and I suspect 85 based on your example) "is one of the few "sliders" that came in two different versions where the embossing was concerned.  The more common version features their "shield" embossed.  It's not very intricate and all the lettering inside is painted on.  The second and much less common version has a much more intricate "crown type" shield embossed.  Both are painted a green that is very similar to Dr. Pepper green.  Lettering is always white."

That probably explains why you are not finding any color on the embossing under the white paint job that someone applied to your machine.  The sample paint job that you show is similar to the Canada Dry Heintz C-2P cooler.  On the Heintz, the shield outline, crown base, and words "Drink" and "Beverages" were painted black or dark green and the stars on the crown and words "Canada Dry" were painted red.  In the Walters book, it looks like the embossing on the base of the crown is more intricate on the Ideal with the "Fleur De Lis" in relief.

I like the Heintz paint scheme over the plain white as it would stand out and give the machine more character.  Of course, you could also paint that embossing like the later decal but that would take more time and cost more money unless you do it yourself.  I have included a picture of my unrestored CD VMC 110 with a good picture of the decal logo and a picture of my Heintz that I owned for a short period of time.  The Heintz had been repainted by the former owner and the lettering had not been redone.

Whichever way you go, that is going to be a great looking machine when completed.

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: